- 1800g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 450g cooking apples
- 450g onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 250g sultanas
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pickling spice
- ½ tbsp dill seeds
- 450g soft brown sugar
- 600ml cider vinegar
- Put the tomatoes, apples, onions, peppers, sultanas, garlic and salt in a large pan. Tie the pickling spice and dill seeds in muslin and add to the pan.
- Add the sugar and vinegar to the pan.
- Simmer for up to 3 hours, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables have reduced to a pulp. Stir frequently.
- Remove the spices and spoon the chutney into sterilised jars.
- Seal with vinegar-proof airtight covers.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?