Tofu is made from soya protein and has been shown to help reduce cholesterol levels.
For the lemongrass rice
- 100g brown rice
- 2 sticks lemongrass
- 400ml reduced fat coconut milk
- 50g soya beans frozen
- 10g fresh coriander chopped
- 2 large spring onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp cornflour
For the dressing
- 1 ½ tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the tofu
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 300g firm tofu
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Place the rice in a colander and rinse well.
- Carefully bruise the lemongrass by bashing it with with a rolling pin or the handle of a heavy knife. Place the rice in a saucepan with 150ml water, the coconut milk and lemongrass, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook the rice for about 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. If the rice dries out add a little more coconut milk or water.
- While the rice is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the dish. To make the dressing, combine the soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil in a small bowl using a whisk or fork.
- Next, prepare the coating for the tofu. Place the cornflour on a small plate and season with the ground black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Lay the tofu onto kitchen roll and gently squeeze it dry. Cut the tofu into four pieces lengthways. Coat both sides of each piece of tofu with the cornflour mixture.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat the groundnut oil until it begins to smoke, then place the tofu in the pan and cook each side for 3 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
- Once the rice has cooked, remove the lemongrass and stir through the soya beans, coriander and spring onion. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the soya beans have defrosted in the hot rice.
- To serve, split the rice between two plates and top with two slices of tofu. Drizzle the tofu with the soy dressing and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.