- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 125ml vegetarian red wine
- 350g frozen vegetarian mince
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 240g wholewheat spaghetti
- 3 sprigs marjoram, to sprinkle (optional)
- Set a large, deep-sided non-stick pan over a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to high, add the wine and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetarian mince, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, oregano and marjoram to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the Bolognese is cooking, place a large pan of water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Add the spaghetti and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer for 12 minutes until the spaghetti is tender.
- Drain the spaghetti and then take the Bolognese sauce off the heat, taking out the bay leaf. Serve the spaghetti in large bowls and top with the Bolognese sauce.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?