- 14 walnuts
- 350g pasta
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely crushed
- 50g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp créme fraîche
- 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 200g pasta of your choice
- Stand the walnuts upright on a solid surface, and tap the pointed ends smartly with a hammer, to smash the shells. Prise out the kernels and roughly chop them.
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: Heat the oil in a frying pan with the walnuts and garlic. Sauté them gently for 2-3 minutes. Season well. Pour in the milk and the creme fraiche or fromage frais, and half of the vegetarian Italian-style cheese. Allow the sauce to thicken for about 3 minutes, then add the basil.
- Drain the pasta and combine it with the sauce. Serve with the remaining vegetarian Italian-style cheese.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?