- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 medium swede, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 sprigs thyme, stalks removed
- 850ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 550ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 x 400g can mixed beans
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium wholemeal or granary
- French baguette
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the garlic and onion, frying over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
- Add the prepared swede, carrot, parsnip and sprigs of thyme, then stir to combine.
- Add the stock and milk, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, drain the canned mixed beans into a colander and rinse.
- When the vegetables are tender, remove from the heat and put one-third into a food processor or blender, then blend until smooth.
- Return the blended mixture to the pan, add the beans, stir and warm through over a low heat.
- Season the soup with black pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls with half of the French baguette per person.
Nutrition per serving