- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150g yellow split peas, cooked as directed on the pack instructions
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 800ml vegetable stock, made with 1 low-sodium stock cube
- 225g smoked tofu
- 300g cooked new potatoes in skin, thickly sliced
- 325g sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- 75ml soya cream
- 1 small bunch chives, chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 vegan seeded rye bread rolls
- red pepper, roasted and sliced
- Heat half of the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and leek and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, cooked split peas and spices and cook for 1 minute to coat the split peas. Pour over the stock, gently bring to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop the tofu into 1cm cubes and place half in a small bowl. Remove 100ml of hot stock from the saucepan with a ladle and pour into the bowl with the smoked tofu. Process it with a hand blender until the tofu is smooth. Add the blended tofu to the pan and gently bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes and sweetcorn. Heat gently for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the rest of the tofu for 5 minutes, stirring to ensure that it is browned on all sides.
- Remove chowder from the heat and stir in the soya cream and season with black pepper.
- Serve in warm bowls, sprinkle over the chopped chives, top with sliced roasted red pepper and fried tofu. Serve with a seeded rye bread roll.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?