These delicious sausages are the perfect veggie comfort food. They’re made with smoked paprika and Applewood cheese and are packed full of flavour.
For the sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 250g cooked cannellini beans
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 100g vegetarian smoked Applewood cheese *use smoked tofu for vegan + 50g finely chopped hazelnuts
- Freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- 2 large free-range eggs beaten (omit for vegan)
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs for coating
For the mash
- 1000g white potatoes and other seasonal root veg peeled and chopped
- 100g kale chopped
- 25g butter or vegan margarine
- 2 tsp EPC hot horseradish
- 500g broad beans
- 500g peas
- Fry the onions in oil until soft then add the garlic and smoked sweet paprika. Continue to fry for another 30 seconds.
- Put the fried onion mixture in a food processor along with the beans, breadcrumbs, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Process into a pate consistency.
- Roll the mixture into 8 sausages. You can freeze the sausages to cook another time at this step if you like.
- Dip each one in the beaten egg and then roll in the extra breadcrumbs. Shallow fry the sausages two at a time turning only when the bottoms have brown first to avoid them falling apart.*if doing vegan version coat in the nuts and grill under a moderate flame, turning occasionally.
- Make the mash by boiling the vegetables until soft around 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash thoroughly then stir in the butter or vegan margarine and horseradish.
- Serve the sausage with the mash, peas, broad beans and your favourite onion gravy.