The pâté can be prepared 24 hours in advance and kept refrigerated until needed.
For the Pâté
- 1 tbsp olive or groundnut oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- A pinch dried thyme
- 150ml red wine
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 100g cooked chestnuts chopped
- 100g chestnut purée
- 75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 2-3 tsp shoyu
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs
- Fresh green salad
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, gently cook the onion and garlic with the dried thyme until soft. Add the red wine and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chestnuts, chestnut purée, breadcrumbs, brandy and shoyu. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over a gentle heat until thickened.
- Spoon the pâté into individual ramekins, smooth the surface and then chill in the refrigerator until required.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs, with crackers and crisp green salad leaves.