For the Pancakes
- 130g plain white flour
- 1 tsp white caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Water, as required
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 small white cabbage, shredded
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the Okonomiyaki Sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire-style sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp nori flakes
- In a large bowl, mx together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add a splash of water and stir to make a thick batter. Add more water as required, but don’t overwork the gluten by stirring too much.
- Add the eggs and mix in until almost fully incorporated.
- Add the cabbage and spring onion. Mix in until they’re well incorporated in to the batter.
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the batter to the pan and fry until it starts to set and turn golden on the bottom.
- Place the shiitake mushrooms on top and gently push in with a spatula.
- Flip the okonomiyaki over to cook on the shiitake side. Once the shiitake mushrooms look lightly brown and the batter is golden, flip it over once more, cooking for another 4 minutes.
- To make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- Cut the okonomiyaki into quarters then place on a plate or serving platter. Dress with the sauce, mayonnaise and nori flakes.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?