For the main dessert
- 300ml full cream milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 6 free range egg yolks
- 175g caster sugar
- 450g dessert apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice (optional)
- 75g vegetarian toffees, cut into pieces
- Mint leaves
- Lemon zest curls
- Put the milk, cream and vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave the flavours to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain and discard the vanilla pod and seeds.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Then whisk in the vanilla cream and pour the mixture into a clean saucepan. Cook over a very low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the prepared apples in a saucepan with the lemon juice and cook over a low heat until soft. Mash and leave to cool. Stir in the spices if using.
- Stir the toffee pieces and apples into the custard and pour into a shallow polythene container. Freeze for 30 minutes, then beat with a fork. Repeat this process then freeze until hard (alternatively use an ice cream making machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions).
- Take out of the freezer for 30 minutes before serving. Scoop into sundae dishes and decorate with mint leaves and lemon zest curls.
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?