“We love hearty, substantial salads of beans, grains and cooked veg. They are usually served cold and walk the line between a salad and a side dish, but they can also be a meal in and of themselves.” – The Happy Pear
- 250g cooked bulghur wheat
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 100g cherry tomatoes halved
- 50g spring onions thinly sliced
- 50g cucumber diced
- 150g roasted aubergine chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 50ml olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 100g rocket
- 1 large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- When cooking your bulghur wheat, make sure to add some salt as you cook it. That way the salt cooks into the grain as opposed to if you season it later, when it simply sits on the surface.
- Whisk or blend the olive oil, lemon and tamari or soy sauce together to make a dressing.
- Now think about presentation. In a large serving bowl, start with the cooked grain, then add the chickpeas and raw veg. Drizzle over the dressing, then add the cooked veg, leafy greens and herbs and gently mix through. Add the seasoning, then taste and adjust if needed. Finally, scatter over the garnish (if using), and serve.
This recipe is an extract from the book Vegan Cooking For Everyone by The Happy Pear, released 9th July 2020.
You can purchase this book on Amazon.
We also have one copy to give away this month! If you would like a chance to win go over to our competition page and enter before 24 July. Good luck!